Zoë is 12 years old and loves cats. She loves learning about cats and how best to take care of them and has agreed to share her knowledge with us as she learns. When she’s not hanging out with her two cats Libra (age 4) and Spooky (age 14), Zoë likes to read, draw, cook and swim at the beach.
Halloween is an amazing time of the year and one of my favourite holidays! But, as a cat owner, I have to remember this can also be a dangerous holiday for my cats. That’s why I decided to write this article to help you keep your cats safe on Halloween.
1. Costumes? Really? For a cat? That may not be a good idea. Some people like to dress up their pets on Halloween, but usually your cat won’t like it. It can make them uncomfortable, scared and uneasy so I suggest skipping costumes.
2. If you’re one of those people who loves going all out on your Halloween costumes that’s awesome, but may also be a bit dangerous. Things like face paint, fake blood or small plastic accessories that go with your costume can be very harmful to your cat if they eat them. Make sure to keep all your costume supplies safe in a drawer away from your cat. Same goes for decorations.
3. On Halloween night there will be trick or treaters coming to your door so remember to make sure your cat is safe and secure. I suggest putting your cat in a different room, but one that she feels comfortable with. For instance, don’t lock your cat inside a small room she doesn’t usually go in to. Put her inside a large room she likes to sleep in and make it really cozy with lots of blankets, cat beds, toys, food, water and maybe even a litter box. You should go check on her once in a while to make sure she’s happy.
4. Fireworks. You probably know how noisy they are and you also know they can really scare cats. Please don’t leave your windows open anywhere in the house, especially in the room your cat is in. You might also want to close the blinds. Think of ways to keep your cat feeling safe inside the room. You could put cardboard boxes in the room and put a blanket inside and give your cat places to hide.
5. And finally, always remember to keep your cat indoors. VOKRA only adopts to indoor homes because it gives cats the best opportunity to live long and healthy lives. You’ll also have fewer worrisome nights.
By following these simple tips there’s no reason why you and your cats can’t enjoy and safe and fun Halloween!